Friday, February 27, 2015

Faith Builders: Midnight Prayers


You know the moments: We’re sleeping soundly, then abruptly sit straight up in bed with our minds filled with some random worry. That’s happened to me several times in the last few weeks.  

Our kids are grown and I don’t see my son nearly as often as I’d like. He works his tail off for very little pay (we’ve all been there) and barely makes financial ends meet. It’s the season of life he’s in. I know it won’t last forever, but for now he does his best to make due. His car is a bit older and it’s not fantastic in the snow. Since we’ve had a lot of ice and snow in our region lately, some of my “wake up” moments revolved around his safety, particularly while driving.  

Fears are rarely rational, but that doesn’t stop them from rearing their ugly heads at inopportune times. We pray through these moments, surrender to God… again… and then try to get some rest. It brings peace to know that if the very worst thing I can imagine actually happened, God is still sovereign, He’s still in control, and He will work through the easy as well as the difficult.  

Yesterday morning, I received the call I feared: “Mom, I was in an accident.” 

I heard the calm in my son’s voice and quickly understood that no one was badly injured. He was a fraction of a second away from a head-on collision. This could have been very bad - but it wasn’t.  

I don’t have the gift of prophecy and I don’t claim to foretell the future in any way. I do not believe that I experienced a premonition. Perhaps over the past several weeks, the Holy Spirit was prompting me to pray for safety and protection. Maybe those midnight prayers helped deliver my son from a greater catastrophe. I’ll never know this side of heaven.

What I do know is that I am thankful to God for the hug I received from my son yesterday afternoon, and for the laughter that rang out across the table as our family shared a meal together. Both brought tears to my eyes and I received them as a cherished gift. 



Lord, I want nothing to do with conditional faith. I praise you today for working in our lives, and know from the depths of my spirit that You are good. All the time.  We averted disaster as a family yesterday, but had the worst happened, we know that You always rule and reign. You show your mercy and kindness in all of our circumstances. Help us always look beyond what we see with our eyes to what is unseen. Help us walk by faith, not by sight. Help us, Lord, to trust you unconditionally, in blessing and trial alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment