Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pouring Out or Overflowing - Part 3

Today we continue our discussion about receiving (aka “accepting”) the Lord’s filling to the point of overflowing.  I encourage you to review my lasts two posts to gain insight to the context of this teaching.  In the meantime, let’s take a look together at a 2nd means of entering the Lord’s presence to be filled by Him – time in His Word.

When we approach the Word of God, our primary focus should be on discovering more about our Lord and Savior and drawing near to Him.   Reading for the sole purpose of learning facts robs us of a richness that stems from the simplicity of faith.  We do not need to know and understand everything about His Word to find Him there.  Beauty comes in believing and accepting His Word as truth.    

I had the rare blessing Monday of sipping coffee (iced, because it was nearly 100 degrees in the Denver area) with my daughter.  She mentioned the historical accuracy of the Bible and it reminded me of the first time I fell in love with the Word.  I realized that the stories were not about imaginary people and fictitious events.  The Word contains testimonies of real people who lived real lives, struggling with real emotions, and experiencing real victories.  Their stories are true (yes, even Jonah) and recorded so that we may know and believe that He is God. 

So how do we meet God in His Word?  As you begin to open the cover of your Bible, stop and pray – every time.  I cannot over emphasize the importance of this.  Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal Himself to you and give you spiritual wisdom and understanding. I can sense a clear difference in my reading when I have first stopped to pray.

My dear friend, Doreen, advises that we read “only until the Lord stops us.”  Practically speaking, here is what this can look like:  prayerfully opening His Word and reading in whatever passage is most inviting to you.  As you begin to read, often a particular verse(s) may seem to jump off the page and touch your heart in a way that you did not expect.  Stop and meditate on that verse alone and carry the Words in your heart throughout the day.   (There will be days when you read for a long time and realize nothing has spoken to your heart.  Please do not be discouraged and repeat the process tomorrow with the expectancy that He will speak to you through His Word.) 

Daily time in His Word is a soul-satisfying exercise.  I believe that you when opening your day with Him in praise, in His Word, and in prayer, your day will be more peaceful, you will have a calmer heart, and a joy-filled spirit!  Give it a try!

You make known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
Ps 16:11 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment