Monday, February 6, 2012

Speak the Truth in Love

I had a great conversation with a friend this morning about the Apostle Paul, his words in Philippians 1:15-18, and the relevance of those words today.  In our own day and age, there are those who proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition rather than from pure motives.  Instead of voicing frustration, Paul stated in verse 18 “Whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice, yes and I will rejoice.” 

Quite honestly, the hair on my neck stands up when I hear about false teaching or see evangelists who only desire fame and financial contributions.  Yes, I confess, I judge them, and there is no value in that.  There is little I can do when a preacher, teacher or leader – especially those on a national or international level – proceed to mishandle the word of God and act with selfish motives when proclaiming Christ.  Instead, I can adopt Paul’s attitude and celebrate the proclamation of our Savior.

I do feel a measure of responsibility, however, to friends in my circle of influence that may fall prey to such teaching.  When I see a beloved sister in Christ who is misled, I must gently take her by the hand and help her discover the truth.  This can easily become a teaching moment for both of us.  I cannot strive to teach her out of my own wisdom (especially because I do not have great wisdom), but by saying, “Let’s look at God’s Word together and see for ourselves what it says.” 

By helping my sister dig deeper into God’s Word, reviewing any questionable teaching by reading the Scripture in context, and prayerfully seeking the Lord’s wisdom and discernment, we discover the truth of Christ.  With an aim to help her delight in a more complete understanding of God’s character, I can help her see the relevance of the Bible in real-life, current situations.  In this, like Paul, I rejoice. 

Speaking the truth in love means not coming across as if I know every answer, and humbly seeking the power of the Holy Spirit as we walk shoulder-to-shoulder with one another.  Together, we can ask for the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding so that we can walk in a manner worthy of Christ (Colossians 1:9-10).  Then, we can embrace the truth of Scripture, knowing that our love will abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment (Philippians 1:9).
 
How blessed are those who observe His testimonies,
Who seek Him with all their heart.
Psalm 119:2
(NASB)

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, great post. He is truth and desires that we "walk in truth." Truth is life. TKS for this nugget of inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Bobbe. You are a great encourager and I appreciate the help in pressing on! I hope all is well with you and yours!

    ReplyDelete