Monday, August 1, 2011

It's Not Lost! I Just Don't Know Where It Is!

I have issues with hotel keys.  I try my hardest to be responsible and even have a special “place” in my wallet for a hotel key.  But the first time I walk down the hall for ice, room key proudly in hand, I return to the room, put my key in the slot, and come on in.  No more than 12 seconds later, I have no idea where the key is.  It happens every time, no matter how purposeful and diligent I try to be.  It seems like the second I feel victorious, I let my guard down, and everything falls apart. 

My family rolls on the floor laughing when I explain to them, “My key isn’t lost.  I just don’t know where it is right now.”  They don’t see the difference between something that is lost and something that simply can’t be found.  While I do follow their logic, I see a clear distinction between two such items.  After all, I just had the room key in my hand.  It’s not lying on the street somewhere.  It is right here in this very hotel room, but I don’t know exactly where.  I have no doubt that I will locate it soon.   

On our last trip, I took a mighty ribbing that continued for days about things that weren’t lost.   

“Has anyone seen my cell phone charger?” 
“You can’t find it?  That’s weird, but don’t worry, Mom.  I’m sure it’s not lost!” 

You get the picture.  My husband finally said, “Honey, I just don’t see you ever living this one down.”

The more kidding I took, the more cemented the idea for this blog post became.  While my situation is funny, at least to the Mac’s, I believe I have sisters out there who feel the same way about their faith.  They may be saying in their hearts, “My faith isn’t lost; I just don’t know where it is right now.”  And that, my friends, is far from funny.

Maybe once upon a time, they had faith that could move a mountain.  Perhaps they have experienced one too many trials in life and can no longer find such faith.  Maybe they have prayed and asked for God’s intervention but have seen little of the help they expected.  Maybe work life interferes with church attendance and spiritual growth stalled.  Maybe… maybe… maybe…

May I suggest that you do whatever it takes to find your faith again?   Life is too short to journey without a cemented faith in Christ.  I can say with all honesty that I would not wish to live a single second questioning where my faith is or in Whom it lies.  Life is too difficult, too painful, and requires too much strength to do it on my own.  Looking back on my years without faith, I see every moment as empty and without purpose, even when looking at the happiest memories.  With faith, my life has meaning, purpose, and joy, even through the most difficult parts. 

If you faith is somewhere close, all it will take is a bit of concentrated effort to find it.  Search it out!  Look for it!  Find it!  Ask the Lord to show you where it is.  Chances are very good that He will show you it is right where you left it. 

Now Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen
(Hebrews 11:1)
Then Jesus said to her, “O woman, your faith is great; it shall be done for you as you wish.” 
(Matthew 15:28 a)
The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!” 
(Luke 17:5)
For we walk by faith, not by sight.
(2 Cor 5:7)










No comments:

Post a Comment