Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Transitions

Thank you for a much-needed sabbatical.  I haven’t written for several weeks as we have faced (and continue to face) a whirlwind of transition.  

Christopher, our oldest child, completed his career as a baseball player this month.  When he was 3 years old, we gave him his first ball and bat as a birthday present and he never looked back.  He used to beg, every day, to be 5 years old so that he could play on a real team.  It was truly a God-given passion for him and after nearly 20 years, his career ended as his college team lost a tournament championship game that would have led to the World Series.  I realize that nearly every team and every player closes on a losing note, but that fact does not ease the heartbreak that shrouds the final score of the final game.

Jessica Taylor, our youngest, graduated from High School on Saturday.  There are many mixed emotions with this momentous occasion.  She has the excitement of new independence but the struggle of saying goodbye to many companions.  There is the anticipation of a life that waits, coupled with the uncertainty of what God is calling her to do.  There are teachers and others who have poured into her life that she will likely never spend time with again.  She is thrilled, but her heart is broken at the same time.
This momma has struggled watching my kids struggle.  There is a great deal to look forward to, I do realize, but as I say goodbye to things we have cherished, I ask the Lord, “Where is our path?”  I can’t see it.  And when I have no idea what the future holds it becomes hard for me to see transition as a beginning rather than the end. 
Our Lord reminds me, however, that He is the path.  He is the way, the truth and the life (John 14:6).  When we trust in the Lord with all our heart and lean on not on our own understanding, when we acknowledge Him in all our ways, He will make our path straight.  (Proverbs 3:5-6).  With a burdened heart, I am once again challenged in the worry / fear department, but I know, and am gently reminded, Who holds us all in the palm of His hand.
We wait on the Lord to see what He has planned for each of us.  We wait together, strengthened in His love. He restores our joy in His presence and for the next 3 months, I have the gift of both of my kids at home!  Thank you, Jesus!  I eagerly wait to see what our futures hold and trust that Your plan is perfect


No comments:

Post a Comment