Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Following Him

Our home group had a great discussion last night. What struck me was the thought provoking question, “how do you feel when others take up your cause?”

In our Lord’s perfect timing, He gave two specific examples earlier in my day so that I could immediately use what He wanted me to learn. Each of my kids was offended in some way yesterday, although they did not seem to feel offended. To rephrase this, I consider what they experienced to be offensive. My immediate reaction was to “take up their cause.”

Keep in mind that my kids are 17 and 21 and are not at the age where they want or need their mamma jumping into their situations. I’m happy to say I did not jump in, but I certainly vented and had animated conversations with them. Unfortunately, my level of frustration did not bring a solution for either of them. (I would sure love to know at what point a Mom loses her control and influence!)

As I continue to ponder this morning, I land in John 21. Jesus appeared to the disciples at the Sea of Tiberias and pulled Peter aside for an intimate conversation of restoration. Seeing John following them, Peter asked Jesus, “Lord, what about Him.” The reply of our Savior: “…What is that to you? You must follow me.” (John 21:22 NIV)

I know, I know. This is an unusual jump through Scripture. But while I am tempted to react, wondering how everyone else was feeling, planning how I could improve each situation, and questioning why their friends acted in such ways, Jesus reminds me through His Word: “What difference does it make? You follow me.”

Paul’s wise words to the Philippians bring further light: “But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” (Phil 3:13-14 NIV)

Yes, I see, Lord. I am to keep my eyes firmly fixed on you and encourage my kids to do the same. What surrounds us is a mere distraction and our ultimate goal is to follow where You lead. The battle is yours and the victory is won.

Oftentimes the act of letting go and fully surrendering our lives to Him brings peace. Praise His holy name!

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Mom! We're all growing and learning, huh? Amazing how the Scriptures are so applicapable/personal. TKS for sharing your heart and lessons! :)

    ReplyDelete