Tuesday, May 5, 2015

When the Meadowlark Sings

Every early spring, their distinctive song lingers in my ears after a long winter of silence. My heart rejoices when the meadowlarks arrive.  

sketch © Oksana Hassel 2015

Their melody takes me back to dozens of mornings working side-by-side with my dad - putting up fence, building barns, or plowing the field.  I was a child, mind you, so my level of help was

“Cathy, hand me that hammer;” or

“Go get me some more nails, sweetie;” or

“Hold this board right here, as still as you can;” or

“You can sit right up here on my lap while I plow. 
Someday when you’re big enough to reach the pedals, 
you can drive the tractor.”

I don’t recall hearing the songbirds as a child, yet my heart remembers them well. Their music rekindles feelings of safety that came under a father’s watchful eye. I think back on his frequent guidance that everything works out for the best. When I hear them, I can almost feel my father’s warm embrace.

I’m amazed at the memories a song can stir. 

The tune of a meadowlark brings with it a sense of calm and comfort.  Although my earthly father passed away many years ago, my heavenly Father still reigns on high. I remain under His watchful eye and He tells me from His Word:  

Do not fear, for I am with you;Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. 
Isaiah 41:10

The lark’s warble reminds me that all is right in the world - because I remain under the watchful eye of the Lord. God is sovereign and has has victory over evil. I feel protected, safe, and loved.

To my surprise, the Lord has often used the flutelike song to quiet periods of stress and anxiety in my life. 

One particular day a few Novembers ago - long after the meadowlarks traditionally fly to warmer lands - I faced a difficult decision. I’d wrestled with options for weeks and prayed for the Lord’s direction. He seemed silent, yet the time to render my decision was at hand. I stated my position yet continued to feel unsure, not knowing if I’d made the right choice.  

As I left the gathering and stepped outside on that chilly November afternoon, I heard the comforting and familiar melody of the meadowlark. It’s unusual timing lifted my spirits more than normal and I felt it was a gift from the Lord. Peace washed over me. I felt a divine, shielding hug and knew in my heart that all was well.  

The call of the meadowlark has deep significance to me. I feel my Father’s warmth and embrace with every trill. When I hear it, I feel protected, safe, and loved.  

If you’re unfamiliar with the meadowlark, click here to listen to its glorious birdsong. 


YOUR TURN:


What “heavenly hugs” have you experienced?  


What made them most special to you?


Leave your comments below or join me on Facebook or Twitter! I look forward to hearing from you!


Be Strengthened Today, By His Word,
Psalm 119:28

Cathy







No comments:

Post a Comment