Monday, January 14, 2013

Spinning Plates



A sweet friend recently texted, “praying for you and the massive amount of plates you are spinning.”  My reply:  “Thanks SO much for prayers.  I thought it was just my head that was spinning!”

You’ve heard the saying: if you want something done and done well, ask a busy person.  While there’s some truth to that, we – especially we women –must take care in how often we say yes.  We want to show ourselves productive.  We long to help others and feel needed (I believe that’s part of our DNA).  We certainly want to do our fair share of the work, especially in ministry.  But when is enough too much?

The parable of the sower in Luke 8 has been much on my mind these days.  First of all, in perhaps my 27th reading of these particular words of Jesus, I honed in on four separate types of ground on which the seed fell.  Honestly up until now, I would have told the story and included only three types of soil.  (I’ve said for years that I have a Swiss-cheese memory.  This is proof.)

Which type of soil was I overlooking?  The type that applies to me, of course.  In Luke 8:14, Jesus said, “The seed which fell among the thorns, those are the ones who have heard and as they go on their way they are choked with worries and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to maturity.”  As I meditate on these words, I identify some obvious distractions that choke my fruitfulness, but other “distractions” are from very good things.  For example, I gain great pleasure from serving the Lord in ministry, but when I say yes to things that He never intended for me, even those good things choke out my calling.  Those are plates I should not try to spin as they take time that could be dedicated to what produces the mature fruit He desires from me. 

What it boils down to is this:  Distractions - both the good things and the bad – can overwhelm us to the point where we “bring no fruit to maturity.”  What seems urgent can make me lose sight of my calling.  Time spent on the good rather than on the goal hinders the production of mature fruit. 

I’m learning, Lord.  Yes, I’m learning.  Take each moment in my day and make it Your own.  Help me in each moment to focus on Your priorities, on Your best interests and help me to serve You in undistracted ways to Your honor and glory.  Help me serve You with all I have, after all, there is much work to be done in this lost world.  But direct my steps and give me laser focus on Your specific calling for me.   May I receive Your Word with an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance.  (Luke 8:15).

I’d love to hear from you…   To what has God called you?  How do you know you’re called to that particular area?  What’s keeping you from pursuing that goal with reckless abandon?   What distractions (either good or bad) are in your way?




No comments:

Post a Comment