Monday, December 12, 2011

Get Your Hands Up!

No, this is not a stick up or a police raid, but encouragement from a simple, recent observation.

I’ve been trying to exercise regularly.  Really.  Exercise TV is my new favorite cable channel and there are dozens and dozens of workouts to do right in my living room.  I love the movement, the stress relief, and the way that it clears the fog from my brain.  I’ve discovered that it is a very effective writing tool, but that’s not the point of this post.

When the trainers want to increase our heart rate, I’ve noticed that our hands go above the head.  Hamstring curls, for example, are a great exercise, but when I do them with hands raised to the ceiling, several things happen:

·         My heart becomes fully engaged

·         My midsection tightens and I feel the exercise involve the entire core of my body

·         There must be endorphins released or something, because my outlook brightens immediately.  (Is that just me?)

So I was wondering… why don’t we raise our hands in worship to the Lord more often?  Imagine praising Him while driving in your car.  If you have a sunroof, open it and raise a hand (only one, please) above your head!  No sunroof?  Press a palm against the ceiling of your car.  While you sing in church, lift your arms and engage the entire core of your body in worship!  Can you imagine worship that fully connects with your heart, involves the entire core of your body, and immediately brightens your outlook?

Praise to the Lord draws His response as He accepts our offering.  Allow Him to capture and consume your attention and shift your focus from yourself to the One worthy of adoration.  The enemy flees as the light of the Lord casts out all darkness.  Through praise, we can have uninterrupted, unhindered time with Him, enjoying the satisfaction that comes through such wondrous communion.   Grab onto it with joy, with hands raised in the air and involve all of your heart and core!

Just do it.

John 4:23 (NASB)
But an hour is coming, and now is,
when the true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth;
 for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.

1 comment:

  1. Cathy,
    Thanks for the gripping, inspiring and helpful post!
    Mega hugs and prayers, Bobbe

    ReplyDelete