Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Why am I afraid?

He said to them, “Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?” Matthew 8:26



As believers in Christ, we have come to love our Lord. We have learned to put our trust in Him and He is proved faithful through His work in our lives. We have seen Him perform modern-day wonders and bring us through hardships, trials and heartaches. He promises to never leave us nor forsake us. He is incapable of dishonesty yet at times we can still be filled with fear.

I’ve read Matthew 8:26 many times, but a few days ago, it jumped off the page and knocked me right in the head… so hard it made me cry, to be honest. It hit me like a “spiritual 2 x 4” as I call it – one of those “duh!” moments that teaches me something I should have learned ages ago but it somehow didn’t sink in.

Why are we afraid when Christ has proven Himself so faithful? Why do we fear when the Lord of Lords is on our side? What is it that makes us waiver in our faith?

If you said to my face, “Cathy, you are a woman of little faith,” I would be deeply offended and vehemently argue with you. I would describe myself as having great faith. In fact, faith is my most prominent spiritual gift. However, truth be told, if you said I was a woman of little faith, you would be right. When I am troubled to the point of becoming fearful, I have little faith. Jesus said it Himself in Matthew 8:26.

As I ask the Spirit to guide me into all truth (John 16:13), a word picture comes to mind. If Jesus were here in the flesh, standing next to me and holding my hand through my trials, would I be afraid? I believe not. I think I would be filled with an outrageous amount of confidence and endurance to fight the fight. I believe through Matthew 8:26, Jesus reminds us that He is here, just as He was in the boat during the great storm on the sea. When He is with us (and He always is) what reason do we have to be afraid?

No comments:

Post a Comment