Friday, June 2, 2017

Eating and Drinking for the Glory of God



I’ve had to re-examine my relationship with food.

Again. 

Not so very long ago if you recall, I wrote about the success I found with calorie counting. (Read that post here). As with most new and wonderful things, the disciplined habits lost traction through vacations, ministry travel, family celebrations, and – if I’m honest – personal laziness.

Bondage to Food 

I realized all those months ago that food was a form of bondage for me. Rethinking how I ate and the weight loss that followed were newfound freedoms that I truly enjoyed. Until I discovered that I am shackled, once again.



I have a few problems in the healthy weight department. 
  • I’m of the age where hormones play a real and honest part in weight management. 
  • I’m of an age where I should know that I can no longer eat like a teenager. 
  • I’m not overweight, I’m under-tall. Yes, I’m a little short, but only on one end (as my Dad would say). 
  • I despise running. I can’t tell you how I despise it. And cardio. 
  • Walking – that I can do and I enjoy it for the most part, but boredom gets the best of me.

Before you jump in with every remedy for my bullet points, my reason for sharing them is to acknowledge the broken parts of my health regimen. I know what to do, I just don’t always have the will power or self-control to self-correct. (My smart self would say, “self-control is the fruit of the Spirit, so yes, you do have it,” but I’ll save that discussion for a much later time. My frustrated self is writing this post, not necessarily my smart self).

What Now?


Over the last few months, Mike and I have traveled a lot more than normal. We’ve watched our bodies balloon to unreasonable limits and know it’s time for healthy action. But we hadn’t formulated a plan.  We could embrace the why and the when but hadn’t landed on our how. And then a few puzzle pieces clicked together.

Interesting Similarities


I’ve recently received requests to pray for some serious health concerns for friends of friends. As the weeks pass and I learn updates of those needs, I repeatedly hear that nutritional counsel is yielding better results than doctors and medications.

Interesting.

A friend recently walked through a very strict program of food elimination with a nutritionist, with the result of discovering foods which were problematic for her. (When we eat everything, we have no idea what’s causing our inflammation, pain, mood swings, illness, etc.) But I’m not sick nor in pain. I’m just not healthy. There’s a difference, right?

Interesting.

Two weeks ago, my daughter was riding in my car, watching a personal video that a 20-something friend posted on social media. She turned up the volume so I could hear. This young woman was talking about a nutritional program she embraced and the “non-scale” (aka non-weight-related) victories she was seeing. Seriously? I’ve met this young woman. She’s amazingly beautiful, she seems to love the Lord and appears to have her stuff together. I guess we all have concerns that most of the world know nothing about.  The name of the program is Whole30®.

Interesting.

There were too many interesting, nutritional similarities to ignore. Jessica and I did a bit more research and we’re diving in. Mike too – and he’s probably the most excited of us all.

What scares me about Whole30®


The “what if’s” scare me. What if I discover I can’t tolerate dairy and have to forever give up my beloved cheese? What if gluten is an inflammation trigger for me and I have to live that lifestyle? Can I successfully navigate 30 days without dairy, sugar, grains, beans, or corn? You mean I can have salsa but no chips? How will I do it? Am I up for this? Will I truly blog about it, even if it’s a colossal failure?

What excites me about Whole30®

 These are the reasons I’ve said “yes,” even in light of my fears: 
  • I want to be healthy. Some of the “non-scale” wins are worth the risk of saying farewell to dairy for good. 
  • Many of the subtle symptoms I’ve experienced for years are listed in Whole30® as related to silent inflammation which can be relieved through food choices. Without getting too graphic, these include alopecia, arthritis, eczema, migraines, and more. 
  • I know that eating sugar causes us to crave more sugar. It’s an addictive substance. I’m ready to break the cycle. 
  • My family is on board. That’s always a win. 
  • There are “scale” wins associated with this program too. Bring it on.


Yes, God Wants Us Healthy, Fit and Well


Throughout the month, I’ll share my adventure with Whole30® in hopes that it will inspire us all to do everything for God’s glory (including eating and drinking according to 1 Corinthians 10:31). I know He loves me. I’m His child whether or not my jeans are too tight or my blood pressure is too high. But diminished health is not the best He has for us, especially when our health issues are self-inflicted. We all know that we can better serve Him and do His Kingdom work if we feel healthy, fit, and well.  So here goes my 437th attempt (approximately).

I’d sure love your prayers.

I’ll report back next week and let you know how it’s going.

Want to learn more?

(this is an affiliate offer, which means I'll get a small commission if you order through this link)


-->

3 comments:

  1. Praying this gets your family moving the right direction! Sounds like a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After being diagnosed with T2 Diabetes a few years ago I started a revolutionary lifestyle change. I eat lchf which is basically clean eating that is low carb and high fat. The health benefits have been amazing. And I do mean amazing!

    I was a skeptic honestly. But I've seen the results. I have not had one case of bronchitus and I previously plagued with it every single year. My blood sugar levels are normal with no medications or insulin. My acid reflux is gone. I have not had one flu shot since. My immune system is boosted.

    Make the change and you will see some great results! It was difficult at first but there are so many online groups that you can find online!

    We are fearfully and wonderfully made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best on your journey through this. It is so cool that you have your family behind you. Someone recently told me that anything which effects your actions or responses more than God is an idol. Ouch!!! I don't have an issue with weight (I actually struggle with the opposite) but I do have issues with lots of other things (getting up at a decent hour in the morning...) This is really motivating me examine why I struggle to do what I know would be good for me, my family and my ministry. I hope this journey for you too, can be oan instrument of turning your heart to God and making choices for Him in this area.

    ReplyDelete